ABOUT MY BOOK, STRUCK BY LIGHTNING

ABOUT MY BOOK
STRUCK BY LIGHTNING

Jessica Perkins, almost nine years old, sits quietly beside the hot, chlorinated swimming pool, waiting for her sister and brother to finish swim practice. They are both competitive swimmers. How long before she has a special interest of her very own? When a friend of her mom's recommends horseback riding lessons, Jessica's aquamarine eyes light up.

In this true story, Struck by Lightning, Joni Perkins gives you a glimpse of her little girl's first experiences with horses. Learn how Jessica finds happiness and self-esteem in this touching story about the lives of horses and the people who love them.



Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 17, 2011

THE NEW OOPS DANCE

I have invented a new dance. I call it the "Oops Dance." It goes something like this. First you go to New Hampshire to visit family. Next, you go to your niece, Heather's house for a girl's afternoon watching movies. What fun we will have: My two daughters, Jennifer and Jessica, my two nieces, Heather and Kara, and my sister-in-law, Cindy.

I look at this awesome dip, and volunteer to take it down to the movie room in the basement. I start down the stairs and begin to sway. This is how the dance starts. Then, I go back up the stairs, put my glasses on my head (reading glasses don't work well for desending stairs). Next, I continue down the stairs and I still seem to be swaying back and forth, all the way down. Crocs with no backs doesn't really help.

The last step. I think I have made it. Turn the corner and proceed. Now, Heather, why did you put that big curve as a step down anyway? You guessed it, I stepped down missing that, walking instead. That's where the dance begins to excelerate. "Oh, oh, save the dip. Save the dip." I don't fall and continue one step after another. Complete silence. Everyone is watching me with interest. This dance really seems to be mesmorising to them.

"Save the dip." I keep singing this song in my head. There's the table, only two more pirouettes. Can I make it?

"Down dip, down," Gently set it on the table. Now for the end of the dance. Plop, plop. Down I go, face first in the cracker and chip bowl.

"Are you all right?"

"Are you okay?" Not a laughter in the room, only concern. This is the highlight of the dance! All eyes are on me.

"Well," says I, "I will be fine as soon as I get this chip out of my nose!"

No comments: